View Single Post
JohnnyTheA

2012-04-13, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gallo View Post
I find it a bit creepy that anyone wants to express their orientation, be it homo or heterosexual through a videogame.
Okay... Not sure but I think they are talking about some sort of RPG game. The whole premise of RPGs IS to express yourself or other personas. So whats the big deal if they let you be gay? I have no issue with the gay setting of a character and putting in more depth to player selection is usually a good thing.

Also, the reverse is okay as well. Someone might want to play a gay character who is NOT expressing themselves. I have played female chars in Ultima Online not because I have a need to express any kind of female-ness but just to be different. These games would be boring if everyone looked and acted the same. They attempt to mirror real-life by having a lot of diversity. Gays exist in the real world, why not in the game world?

My take on this is this is either:

a. EA's way of trying to broaden their appeal to people to increase profit.

or

b. EA's way of trying to make a political point.

(a) makes perfect sense, (b) usually pisses me off but in this case I don't care because they are not advocating taking money or freedoms away from me personally. And I essentially agree with them. Now if they start mirroring their story-line along say the "Occupy Movement" or some kind of crazy, obvious political angle, THAT would piss me off, BUT it is still a free world, there are thousands and thousands of games, and one doesn't HAVE to play them all...