View Single Post
autodata
hustlin

2005-02-03, 09:58

I've biked to work every day with 15" powerbooks for years now. In my experience, I just can't get used to the XGA resolution on the 12" even though I have had periods where I'll use an ibook for weeks straight. It's just way too little screen space for me, but YMMV.

If you are doing graphics work, I say definitely go with the 15". You don't really have to worry about size if you have a good bag. I have a Spire bag that's still like new after three years of constant use and my 15" powerbooks have always fit perfectly in there as does any and all other books, etc, that I put in there.

In fact, the 15" is a little more comfortable. If you have the powerbook in a laptop bag, then it's in its own compartment, which basically negates the benefits of the smaller screen. It's not like you can stuff a book in the saved space in the compartment. And in the bag I've been using, the padded compartment is against my back, so when I have a 15" machine in there it covers my whole back and is, therefore, unnoticeable and comfortable.

The one thing you should be aware of is if you live in the city, the bumps and such might take a toll on your machine. I don't know if it will, but I've had issues with my powerbooks that I suspect may have to do with that. I've always had applecare, so it's not really a problem. Of course, whether the powerbook is 15" or 12" probably doesn't affect this.