View Single Post
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2016-11-23, 07:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Not counting the Touch Bar or the Apple Watch, in the last five years Apple has introduced Siri, Touch ID, Apple Pay, the world's first 64-bit mobile chip, retina laptops, retina desktops, retina tablets, EarPods, the Apple Pencil, 3D Touch, Lightning, and iCloud.* They've redesigned the MacBook Pro twice, ditched skeuomorphism, and made the fastest processors in the most competitive segment year after year after year. And they've made tons of "incremental" but huge improvements to their cameras, their flash storage, their radios, their durability…

Just five years ago the state-of-the-art Apple product had a 3.5" screen, a 32-bit processor, and a 30-pin dock connector. It ran bubbly iOS 5 and Siri was just entering beta. It looks ancient today. (Have you looked at Forstall-era iOS lately? It's gross.) We've come a looooong way in just five years. That's Apple innovation. It might not be everything you want, it might be more mobile-y and less Mac-y than you like, but I'd argue the Mac is a much more mature product. And even then, compare today's MacBook Pro with a 2011 model. That glorious 1280x800 screen!

*) Alright, technically iCloud was October 2011.

I'm with Eugene.

Also, most of what you describe has been matched and or surpassed by the competition.

Here's a question. How much has apple grown in those same five years and how much has their r&d increased? Think we have seen the same return on investment as we did the 5 years prior ?