View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-01-07, 08:41

I wonder where the DSLR market may be headed. Nikon has filed about 3 dozen patents related to a mirrorless camera system (lenses and body). I'm sure some of this is just smoke, but it makes sense. A new system will have to be virtually complete out of the gate in order gain support in the market. What then are the consequences for the F-mount? Somewhat counter-intuitively, I think it could be worse both for the F mount and future EVF system if a new mount offers unclear market signals.

On 35mm formats, conventional film era wisdom tells us that mirrorless camera lens designs have advantages up to about 75mm focal length, some say 90, and that SLRs are operationally superior and optically equal beyond that point. I'd take an affordable RF

Leaving aside sensors and EVFs, which will eventually be cheap commodities, the contemporary digital market is further complicated by other considerations - video and zoom lenses which favour divergent designs depending on market and application. An EVF design primarily for video would look very different from one designed as a new era digital range finder. m43 somewhat combines those worlds but is hampered by its small sensor when it comes to stills. Variable formats under one mount might make sense: with lenses and bodies designed to automatically crop/correct depending on the combination detected.

If there is a new mount, I could see the DSLR heading up market and the EVF filling the consumer space...