View Single Post
FentonH

2006-08-31, 18:29

Sell your PC? Yes.
Buy a iBook? Dubious.
Buy a user iBook? Hell, no.

The recall of G3 iBooks is past- you will be stuck with computer junk when it unexpectedly dies on you. I have a G4 iBook -two years old- and already two logic board failures. When I start looking for a new Macintosh laptop, under no circumstances will it be an iBook. The cheap, white crackable cases are another drawback.

Consider budgetting for AppleCare. If you buy it through a university, ask for "APLA " which stands for Apple Parts and Labor Agreement, i.e. AppleCare minus the telephone schnick-schnack. Consequently much cheaper. My info may, however not be absolutely current.

FentonH
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
I'm getting ready to sell my PCs that I don't really use any more so that I can buy an Apple laptop. I don't need much, as I can use my mini for most things. I just want a cheap used iBook that I can taking notes, writing papers, and surfing the web. I found this one on Mac of All Trades:

12" iBook1 G3 / 600 / 20GB / Combo
2 USB / 1 FW
256MB RAM (I'm going to upgrade to 768)
$399

I just have a couple of questions on the laptop. I'm happy enough with the price (I'm struggling to find anything cheaper), but I was wondering: if I upgrade the RAM, will it run Tiger acceptably? I don't really care about Core Image and all that. Also, should I upgrade to 512 or to 768? It's almost $70 more to go up to 768, and I was wondering if it was worth it. All I really need to run on this laptop is iTunes, iCal, Camino, and TextEdit. I don't see it being a problem, but since I'm not the grizzled Mac veteran that some of you are, I thought I'd run it by you.