View Single Post
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-07-19, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher
It's really quite pathetic. I got a Wintel box so that my wife could have the same user interface/experience at home and at work, and wouldn't rag about having to use the old iMac. Even reading her Hotmail in Internet Explorer some crap manages to get on the system that resets the default homepage, changes the menu bar, etc. And I have no idea how to fix this stuff on a Wintel box. Guess I'll have to shell out money for a copy of AdAware or some other spyware cleanup program, not to mention all the craziness involved in installing patches.

I sure am glad I have a choice of OS for my own computer.

Escher
Your situation is my fear for the future. My wife has always been less enamoured about having the Mac at home than I have been. It’s not that she does not acknowledge that the Mac is nicer to use in most ways, it’s just that she is less interested in computers: as a result, she has little patience for dealing with an OS with which she is not familiar (even small differences drive her crazy) and she is impatient with any Mac/PC compatibility problems (and these still sometimes do arise – especially dealing with some of the special software her firm uses).

So my fear is that she will lobby hard to have a PC as our 2nd computer. If so, she will expect me to ‘maintain’ it and deal with any problems, since that is not something she could/would do. That would be my nightmare.