View Single Post
dfj225

2004-07-19, 12:19

Well...as someone who uses Windows XP at home I think that SP2 is a big deal. For years MS has been very concerned with backwards compatibility and would seemingly opt for compatibility over security or stability. Well, it looks like things have changed and SP2 will be a fundamental change to the core of XP. It will break some older (or poorly written) apps in favor of security. I think thats a big deal and something that is really needed in the Windows world.

Also, I currently have a beta for SP2 installed and no it does not break iTunes. The only reason something should break is if it was poorly written, so if the final release does break iTunes for some reason, chances are its Apple's fault.

As far as viruses are concerned, I think that only people who are either stupid or do not apply the patches to their computer get viruses. Also, using a firewall and having common sense (ie: not opening every attachment you get) will pretty much make any Windows computer virus free.

I really don't think XP is that hard to administer. If you set it to automatically download updates and virus scan updates, all of the work is pretty much done. I don't know why so many Mac users feel its so difficult, as that has not been my experience.