View Single Post
HOM
The Elder™

2004-07-19, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfj225
I seriously doubt that MS would purposely break iTunes. Even if they did initially break it, it's not like they could just let it stay broken. Many happy users of iTunes for windows (including me) would be seriously pissed and surely let MS know it.
Well, you said it best when you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfj225
Also, I currently have a beta for SP2 installed and no it does not break iTunes. The only reason something should break is if it was poorly written, so if the final release does break iTunes for some reason, chances are its Apple's fault.
Your assumption was that if iTunes broke it would be because Apple did a shitty job of programming.

Like I quoted above:

Quote:
The changes in the way Windows polices itself -- particularly the newly strengthened firewall -- could cause troubles for applications that are used to working with Windows' old ways. Some say that's particularly true of applications that regularly interact online, such as gaming programs or music services.
MS is gearing up for the launch of their music downloading service any minute now. This is just the sort of FUD that they need.

"iTunes is buggy software that makes your computer unstable and it won't run anymore. Oh, did we mention that you were locked into Apple's proprietary music format?"

I mean do I really need to list all the software that has mysteriously broken right before MS released a competing product? And now with DoHS on their ass to make Windows more secure the DoJ will surely back off the antitrust issues if it really does make Windows a better OS.

Seems like a Win/Win to me for MS. Cripple iTunes for an indefinite period of time while Apple updates it. Get's the DoJ off their back for anticompetitive acts because they are making Windows more secure and thereby America more secure.

I'm not saying that it is going to happen, just that I wouldn't put it past MS to do it.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!