View Single Post
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-11-25, 21:29

I kind of thought the last time I did a long text message the iPhone stopped taking input at a certain point, which I presumed was when I hit that magic character count. But I have not actually experimented so could be wrong.

In any case the splitting is handled by the network to some degree, and how each network handles that is different.

For example, when I am roaming in some countries in Asia I would say only 3 out of 4 text messages get through, although magically you still get billed for them.

Also, in the past when texting from my treo and sending 'multi-text' messages as one message quite often the recipient would only get the last, or the first section.

Typically it depends on how advanced the country you are in is.. i.e. In Singapore a lot of the messages get to their destination, and long ones get split into more than one message.. But from Indonesia you are lucky if even one message gets out complete.

This is something I find particularly annoying about text messages, which are overpriced, and badly implemented by all but the best mobile networks.. And on those 'best' mobile networks you are paying through the nose because they are in countries like the UK, Spain etc.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt