View Single Post
Partial
Stallion

2011-10-04, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Continuing this discussion from the soon-to-be-closed thread in Speculation & Rumors:

Maybe not. But it matters if some iPhones are 320 dpi and some iPhones are 295.

Let's say you wanted to make an app with a one-inch-wide circular button. You'd either have to make two buttons of slightly different sizes in pixels, or ignore it and have the button be slightly different sizes on different iPhones. Neither seems ideal.

That's why I'm in favor of Apple "doing it right" with the addition of a second screen size at the same dpi. Adding more pixels, not blowing them up. That way, if you were making a game, say, and you wanted the HUD to be the same size on all iPhones, you wouldn't have to make two different sets of graphics for the HUDs in the corners — players would just have a better view of the game in between them.

It helps that I think Apple has more room to grow into the top and bottom bezels of the iPhone than the sides, meaning any larger screen would lend itself better to 16:9/9:16 aspect ratio than a blown-up 3:2/2:3. So I think they'd change the size, pixel count and aspect ratio of the iPhone in one clean swoop — they'd change everything but the ppi.
I don't think you'd have to make two sets of graphics. The resolution is the same. The DPI is different. It might look "fuzzier". I say "fuzzier" instead of fuzzier because in reality no one will be able to see the difference.

Images are measured in pixels, not inches, therefore it will scale just fine.

You guys asking "what do you get with a 4" screen of the current res": The answer is less typos. Much fewer typos because the keys in the keyboard will be bigger. It will be much easier to type. I have some sausage fingers and I have typos constantly on the iPod touch I use daily.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...