View Single Post
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-10-05, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
OK, so they've done that in the past. Still not getting why that obliges Apple to control the rumors, or indeed how that would even work. If the WSJ or NYT runs a "inside sources" article before a hardware release, does that silence all the other outlets claiming inside sources? Does the hysteria abruptly die down because a big media outlet said something? If Apple had done exactly what's being described, and carefully laid out exactly what they were releasing a while back, would everyone now be going "Well, a bit underwhelming but then again we knew all about it because of that one anonymous tip in the WSJ story so it's all good?"

My impression is that while Apple might use controlled leaks to increase publicity for something they want to hype, it doesn't really work to dampen other speculation or rumor, which I think is what you are saying they should have done (not that I think they really needed to do that anyway).
Do you think it was just coincidence that the WSJ (quoting Apple officials who wished to remain anonymous) shot down the reports of an iPhone 5 for Sprint that surfaced the day before the announcement?