View Single Post
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-10-05, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
I can think of lots of time the mainstream media played an Apple release as a disappointment. They do a few stories and then it's gone, lost in the data tsunami. No one will remember what CNN or Today said about the new iPhone in a week. No one remembers what anyone said about the iPad, which, as you may not recall, was met with a great deal of negative "just a big iPod" press. Lots of people were "disappointed", and Apple failed to manage expectations properly, or something.
That's simply not true. Apple has become a pop culture icon.... CNN actually had a "breaking news" ticker on the iPhone 4S announcement.

With multiple sources suggesting an iPhone 5 was coming, as recently as this week, that is what most of the headlines and stories predicted going into Tuesday. As a result, the "4S" is deemed a disappointment.

You try to argue that most people don't care about this stuff because they aren't as involved in the tech world back and forth debate and details... yet, its these people that are most impressionable by what they see on tv and in the news and who simply read headlines and make judgments.

The iPhone 4S will sell... of course it will... but I think it would have sold better and received better press reaction if Apple had done a better job at tempering expectations leading up to the announcement.

What the media latches on to matters.... antennagate proved that.