View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-05, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
"Beyond the rumor sites, way beyond!"
Yeah, I remember that (the iMac G4?).

It kinda blew up in their face a bit. I remember them taking some heat for it, and getting some ridicule. Especially after the fact, when many were insufficiently blown-away and dazzled.

They haven't really done it much since, probably because of that very reason.

Maybe that "Redmond, start your photocopiers" could be considered a similar thing, but I think it was more of a saucy jab than outright self-bragging/hype.

A lot of people ragged on them for the "Beyond the rumor sites thing." I remember that.

That was 2002. I don't recall repeats of that the past 9-10 years, in any big way.

Maybe that was their "toe in the water" (either to see if that sort of approach fit them, or because they were so amped up about that iMac G4 "sunflower" design, they really wanted to build the hype), and they didn't like how it turned out?

I, for one, thought the iMac G4 design was pretty neat, but yeah...the ramp-up to that Macworld keynote was a departure for them with those website teasers. And I think it didn't turn out as big and dramatic as they'd hoped. They probably still cringe about it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2011-10-05 at 10:21.