View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-05, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, I remember that (the iMac G4?).

[..]

A lot of people ragged on them for the "Beyond the rumor sites thing."

That was 2002. I don't recall repeats of that the past 9-10 years, in any big way.
Did any mainstream media even mention that? Sure, it was on their front page for a few days, but I doubt most people noticing it were average Apple customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Maybe that was their "toe in the water" (either to see if that sort of approach fit them, or because they were so amped up about that iMac G4 "sunflower" design, they really wanted to build the hype), and they didn't like how it turned out?

I, for one, thought the iMac G4 design was pretty neat, but yeah...the ramp up to that Macworld keynote was a departure for them. And I think it didn't turn out as big and dramatic as they'd hoped?
Ultimately, as neat as it was, the iMac G4's design was too complex, too costly, and not sufficiently beneficial. By contrast, the iMac G5 was refreshingly simple.

It's odd, in retrospect, that Jobs would approve something so mechanically complicated. Wherever possible, his era of Apple liked to get rid of extension bays, battery bays, optical drives, and so on.