View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-24, 10:24

And that those poor decisions seemed to always tie to "design" (specifically "how impossibly - and unasked for - thin can we get this?", which seemed headed up/obsessed over by one person over all the others) was jarring. I've always heard - even from those keynote videos from Ive himself - about how "good design" is the blend of form and function.

Somewhere along the way, the "function" part seemed to take a backseat. And those products you mentioned should be some evidence of that.

No reasonable customer is sweating/squawking over millimeters or grams if it impacts negatively on their day-to-day usage and experience. There is a line, in anything, that is "too far". And I think, on several occasions, they blew right past it at 185mph in some self-imposed race to be The Thinnest & Lightest Everything, Everâ„¢.

And most people couldn't have given less of a rip, big picture. If Apple never made any of their current products one bit thinner, or lighter, than they are right this minute, 98% of the Apple-using population wouldn't care. Or wouldn't even know. I'd wager a lung on that. There is nobody on the planet saying "damn, Apple's stuff is just way too bulky and heavy...why can't they ever design some lighter, sleeker products?!"

"We made the new Apple Pencil 1mm thin. It doesn't work 42% of the time, but that's the price you pay for good design." - Jony Ive

I got fed up with his shit about eight years ago.

Bug off already. Go design a $1,875 coffee urn ($700 wheels optional) that doesn't pour smoothly/reliably, and made with minerals from Jupiter and recycled angel harps, if that's what you think the world needs. I've never been happier to see someone depart the company, frankly.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-24 at 10:51.