View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-21, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
M1X

Is there anyone here that is surprised by this?
Somewhat.

Quote:
A source with a decent track record has suggested that the processor in this year’s MacBook Pro models will be branded the M1X rather than the M2, backing Bloomberg suggestions that it will be the same cores, but just more of them, and with a performance-heavy configuration.

Apple is said to be reserving the M2 name for next year’s chips, and that this will likely debut in a new MacBook Air …
That last sentence is weird. What will debut in a new MacBook Air? The M2? That would mean this, right?
  • we see an M1X (Firestorm/Icestorm cores, I presume, but more of them, more ports, more everything) in late summer to fall.
  • we then see either nothing at all or more M1 and M1X products.
  • and then, presumably early?? next year, we see a new Air with the M2

I guess that's possible? But yes, it surprises me a bit.

What I was thinking instead, based on recent rumors:
  • we see an M2 in late summer to fall. The cores are new, and the iPhone gets them later than the Macs do. It debuts in the MacBook Pro, but comes to some other products this year, too, such as the bigger iMac.
  • throughout the next "release year" (that "year" starting in late summer/early fall, here), products move to the M2, perhaps in different variants of core configurations, some stay on the M1 for a while
  • in particular, I'm guessing they'll introduce a new Air design either late this year or first half of second year, at a slightly higher price, with the M2, and leave the M1 Air from late 2020 around for a while at the lower price

Introducing the M2 (meaning: a Mac chip with the A15 generation of cores) not until next year would seem unexpected to me.

Last edited by chucker : 2021-05-21 at 16:16.