View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-01-25, 11:44

My 8K computer interest is primarily in viewing still images.

But, I also like viewing movies, a lot of "classics" from the 60's through 90's, and the newest independent and studio fare. I haven't been to a theatre in 3 years, but it's likely that most theatres don't have more than DCI-4K, and may not be showing more than DCI 2K a lot of the time. At home we're watching consumer 4K and I'm impressed by how good/natural 2K and 4K transfers* of an old movie can look. You're seeing film grain/noise texture in the 16mm/35mm source material. Not sure what 8K gains here, if anything, unless other processing trickery is applied. Now 65/70mm is probably a different story, but we will also need a bigger screen to recreate the experience...

(*is it technically a master if the source was film? I guess that's why they celebrate "remasters" from original reels/prints)

I have the time to make a basement family/cinema room. Going to be about a 8-10ft viewing distance with a big couch seating four-five people across. I think the screen should be about 75-80" to give it the right impact. Not sure if 8K will matter, no source material really... Maybe just a high quality 4K with really good black levels.