View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-01-31, 22:31

I didn't intend to report in with episode-by-episode progress, but, damn. I did not expect The Last of Us to be so heart-wrenching. I figured we'd be getting a by-the-books zombie show. Episodes 1 and 2 were already pretty strong, but episode 3 took a slight detour and brought out some very bittersweet emotions. Its plot deviates a bit from the game, for those who have played it and care about that kind of thing, but it does so in a clever way that has a stronger emotional impact on the audience and possibly the protagonist.

Here's how Craig Mazin (writer/co-creator of the show) described his episode 3 idea to Neil Druckmann (writer/creative director of the games, and writer/co-creator of the show), heavily edited by me to avoid spoilers:
Quote:
I thought that maybe, since we could disconnect (spoiler) from Joel and Ellie, in terms of gameplay, we could expand on (spoiler), and maybe give it a slightly different, or actually a radically different, ending. That is when I pick up the phone and say, “Neil, I’ve got a radical idea. (spoiler…)”

So, I wrote it all, I sent it to Neil, and I was like, “Uh.” And he was like, “This is my new favorite.” And I was like, “Phew.” And that’s a credit to him. I completely wandered way off the reservation there, and he loved it."
Much like with Andor, I have been thoroughly impressed and pleasantly surprised by The Last of Us. Six more episodes from now through March 12th? Not sure if I prefer to watch it spread over two months or if I'd rather wait and binge it all, but it's too late for me now!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.