Thread: LoCash
View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-10-03, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I felt the need to post again...sorry if it's inappropriate or not timed well for someone.

I was reading through some old private messages last night and came across a handful that Jack and I had sent back and forth about various different things and a few of them made me laugh out loud even though they were years old and I had read them all before. So I started to search around for threads and posts that Jack had made, just because I was thinking about him.

I started in the Revolution forums, in the regular forums, as well as other places. The more I read, the more I could feel a tight feeling in the pit of my stomach and a heavy feeling in my heart. I came to this thread which I had never really allowed myself to read too much of it for various different reasons.

I started on page one with Taft's original post that informed us all of the terrible news. Almost as soon as I read that I started to cry. I sat here until the wee hours of the morning reading this whole thread, clicking on almost every single one of it's links and downloading the various things people had posted to it. I had tears in my eyes the whole time.

I don't really know why I'm saying this, or why I waited months to read this thread, but I felt I needed to add something more than the obligatory condolences. I've never been so touched by someone that I never had the pleasure of knowing personally. I feel blessed though that I got to interact with him in the ways that I did. Jack was a truly great man who made great things happen, both in his real life and in his cyber life.

We were all lucky to have Jack as a friend and as an administrator of AppleNova. It's wonderful to know that his legacy will live on for probably as long as the internet lives on. This will always be the house that Jack built, and I for one count myself lucky to have been invited through its doors and I feel even luckier that Jack blessed us with his presence, talent, and wicked sense of humor, if only for a short time.

The brightest stars burn out much to quickly. Rest in peace friend, rest in peace.
I really like this post that you wrote, Sam, mainly because I feel the same way you do; and it makes me very glad to know that at least one of you has deep and long-lasting emotions about Jack.

I think of him quite often, always with a great sadness; and always with the foolish and fleeting hope that maybe he's still around somewhere - that he didn't really die, but assumed another identity for some reason and is living a secret life in Oregon, the Caribbean, or the south of France.

As each month passes, I wonder how many of you still think of him, as I do. I picture each of us going on with our lives as if nothing had happened, and I reflect upon how appallingly short-lived is our impact on this world.

That's why, Sam, your post makes me realize that plenty of you probably think of Jack just as frequently and sadly as I do. For some reason, that makes me feel a little better - I guess because I am reassured that he *is* and will continue to be remembered.

When I think of how incredibly bright, talented and unique Jack was, with 'such' plans for the future, I 'always' cry at the tragedy of losing his irreplaceable spark from our world. He was just *beginning* his life; and now... he's gone forever.

Okay, enough from me. I really do apologize if this seems maudlin.

~ Carol ~