Thread: 2020 Apple
View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-21, 13:29

I'm on a 2012 Mac Mini and am not giving Apple more computer dollars until the iMac gets a fresh face (I can buy used stuff from work for very good prices and they work just fine). My iPhone X is just a bit too big for my pocket, but I love the screen. However, I am a candidate for an iPhone "SE" (rumor has it that they are coming 1st half of 2020, so here's to hoping!) whose screen is iPhone X-ish in design (Face ID and all that—I cannot stand the Home button at this point), and a good camera. I no longer have any use for a laptop, but my wife does. I will continue to buy used on that front, and am looking for a good MB Air for her as soon as one drops into the shop.

New laptops for me are a waste of my money. My X is already way more phone than I need, so a slightly smaller, slightly less powerful phone with an equivalent camera system is going to get my upgrade $$. Seriously, though, the iMac is a dated-looking computer. If a new design doesn't drop this year, the Mini will get replaced with a used 2015+ model, and I can get those really cheap at this point. Drop in an SSD and upgrade my external RAID to SSD's, and it will still cost me significantly less than current things with reasonable specs.

If Apple is reading these things (and I highly suspect they are) then I hope that turning their attention toward "Pro" wishes means they are also listening to the consumer wishes.

Most folks will just buy whatever, but "whatever" is getting stale. My favorite Apple computer to date was my 2002 iMac G4 with an 800Mhz G4, 80GB HDD, and 1GB of RAM.That thing was awesome, esthetically pleasing, very powerful, flexible, and just plain . A few weeks ago, I finally hauled it to the recycle bin. It hurt, but I just didn't use it any longer and it was time for it to go.

But, that design was truly revolutionary and innovative.

That's the Apple I want to see working. "Good enough" is not good enough!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)