MacBook

aBook

MacBook X

Apple Book

Apple Lap Thing

Book

Note

PowerBook

Hell, who knows. When they announced MacBook, I thought the name was dumb! Now, it's synonymous with Apple laptops and few people even remember PowerBook. Yet, PowerMac and PowerBook are still much better names than MacBook and Mac Pro.

Looking through my list, I like:

Book

PowerBook

Consumer and Power. The "Pro" thing is confusing to people and doesn't actually say anything at all. But iBook and PowerBook always had the right tone. One was a Thing, the other was a PowerThing. Lot's of people describe themselves as "professionals", so "pro" doesn't separate "power" from "not power". Many people still associate "business" with "professional" and cannot sort out why they don't need a "pro" machine for MS Word, because certainly MS Word is a "pro" app. For me—a Mac salesman for the past 15 years—the "Pro" bit is just not … correct. It never has been. So, whatever they do, I really do hope they dump the "Pro" business. It even sounds dumb on the iPhone. I mean, what makes the iPhone Pro a "pro" device other than marketing?

Oh, wait …

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)