Thread: Wwdc 2020
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-03-29, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Yes, but will late 2020 Macs come with Tiger Lake chips? I guess we'll see.
Depends. Assuming annual updates, probably not.
  • we'll probably see a new 13- or 14-inch MacBook Pro with either Comet Lake-U or Ice Lake-U in Q2. They might stagger this again, releasing the base model separately, in which case that one might have Ice Lake and the others don't. (In a nut, Comet Lake has slightly better CPU perf, but Ice Lake has far better GPU perf.)
  • we might see a 16-inch MacBook Pro in Q2 as well, because Intel's Comet Lake-H would be ready. But they could also wait until late this year, because they recently updated it.
  • iMac is basically due for Comet Lake-S in Q2. Mostly boring.

None of those are Tiger Lake. Depending on when Tiger Lake-Y actually ships, in volume though, we might see another MacBook Air in Q4.

As for most other Macs: it's the generation after Comet Lake (which hasn't even come to the Mac yet), Rocket Lake, that will add USB4, and again, we might see that in Q4, but maybe not until H1 2021.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
And I don't follow this side of things closely, but I read somewhere that PCIe 5.0 was going to leapfrog 4.0.
Right, but if Intel is only starting PCIe 4 right now — and only for Tiger Lake. On the desktop side, it's not clear if PCIe will come in Rocket Lake, or actually not until Alder Lake, two generations from now.

(The good news, if any, is that Alder Lake is then slated to finally unify the 10nm and 14nm weirdness across the line-up.)

(Yes, I'm ignoring ARM here. Also the vague possibility of AMD.)