View Single Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-11-24, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Hm, I can't quickly find old versions of the BTO options.

But I can't imagine the 27" iMac with 32 GB RAM and 4 TB SSD was $2100. Maybe if the 4 TB was a HDD? But the RAM alone surely was another $400. I would guess that configuration was more like $3700 US. The equivalent Mac Studio (again, US) is $3200.

The monitor… yeah, I know. Save yourself the pain and money and don't get Apple's. Third-party ones aren't as nice as far as the panel goes, but the price is just unjustifiable.

I'd also argue getting a 4 TB internal disk is silly. Yes, it'll be fast, but also not upgradeable. Save $1k and get 1 TB. Then get a Crucial X6 4TB for $260. Or an OWC Envoy Pro 4 TB for $779.
It certainly wasn't that price brand new, I'm looking at buying an almost three-year-old computer

The Disk thing is something I've always wondered about. I've never had my apps on one drive (the iMac's) and my documents on another. And then I hook up a Time Machine drive to back them both up on? That seems a bit convoluted to me. How does that work out in real life?

I don't think you can just ignore the main machine drive and set an iMac to boot from the external, can you?