View Single Post
Chinney
Veteran Member

2006-04-07, 12:39

Let’s get back to the legit talk. The real question is not hacks, the real question is…could Apple, on its own - no cooperation from MS – release a version of Boot Camp for “PCs”. My initial impression is that the lack of cooperation from MS would not be the stumbling block. MS does not seem to have directly cooperated for Boot Camp for Mac – I am not sure that any lack of cooperation would stop Apple from releasing a Boot Camp PC. They would not be treading directly on toes – purchasers would still have to have licences to valid copies of Windows and OS X to have the dual boot option.

There may be a technical stumbling block, of course. The EFI vs. BIOS could create a problem. I’m not too familiar with that aspect. I would assume, however, that there are technical ways around this, such as a special version of OS X. That likely would not fit with the Apple vision for OS X.

And there is the big stumbling block – Apple’s vision of the integration of the Apple OS and Apple hardware – leaving them only to let their OS run on their own computers. Formerly, I sympathized with the vision, but now that they have gone ‘half way’ with Boot Camp, I wonder if they should just go the whole distance and allow OS X for PC. It would allow greater exposure for OS X to the computer using public and Apple would still have the argument that ‘If you want to see OS X in all of its glory, see it run on our own hardware’.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.