View Single Post
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-06-21, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I need to get out and try some of those. Sadly I've never upgraded my Canon Rebel XT. I keep going back and forth on going mirrorless or another full frame DSLR. I'm fairly certain I'll stick with Canon, but not even requiring that now. At this very moment, my iPhone 11 Pro gets more camera time from me than anything. It feels so dirty to be talking photos like that.
I used a Rebel XT for years. I'm not sure the upgrade is worth it for landscape, but I love the high ISO performance for urban shooting. The tilt/swivel screen with live view is more useful than I expected though.

I'm tentatively thinking about making the jump to full-frame RF this year. My problem is 3 of my 5 lenses are EF-S and replacing them all at once would cost thousands. Until Canon starts releasing lower-end RF lenses I'll probably wait. I need a f/4 wide zoom and ideally an RF replacement for the 24mm pancake.

The 15-35/2.8L looks amazing, but it's $2300 and weighs almost 4x as much as my current 10-18mm. f/2.8 is wasted on me at this focal length—I'd rather not carry around that much extra weight on long hikes.

I don't really want to buy any more EF lenses right now, otherwise I'd just get the 16-40/4L and 70-200/4L and mount them with adapters.

I think my decision will be forced somewhat by how the pandemic plays out over the rest of the year. I'm supposed to fly to Japan for a two-week photography workshop in November. If that happens, I'll probably buy the Canon RP with 24-105/4L kit to dip my toe into full-frame mirrorless, but keep my Rebel for landscape photography until Canon's RF lens lineup catches up. If not, I'll wait till 2021.

For that Japan workshop, the 24-105/4L should make a great walkaround lens, plus I can put my 50/1.8 on with an adapter for low-light shooting. It's all urban and portrait shooting.

Here's another water shot, this time in Fiordland on the south island of New Zealand, also shot handheld: