View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-23, 09:11

I just read the Wookiepedia entry on Skippy/R5-D4. Interesting. I had no idea. Even in canon, it seems the "bad motivator" thing was a ruse, with R5 sabotaging himself to ensure R2 got sold by the Jawas and could find his way to Obi-Wan.

I'm sure, at the time, none of this was thought about or planned, it's just stuff built up in the years/decades since.

Still kinda interesting.

Man, the whole saga is so fractured and confusing now, regarding "canon", Legends and all the retconning and made-up horseshit to explain this or that over the decades.

It's why I've always just kinda stuck to the movies, even though I've only really liked about three of them. I bought a few comic books back in the day and read a couple of the EU novels and just realized "uhh...no, I'm not heading down this convoluted, time-sucking rabbit hole the rest of my life. Screw that."

But now it's even worse with all the post-Disney stuff now being "official" (which is just...tragic, frankly).

All Disney had to do was follow what had already been laid out, established and accepted by fans. Or gone with Lucas' plans when they purchased the property. I think he was miffed that they didn't...and I don't blame him. I'm sure whatever he had in mind couldn't have been any worse than what came to be (but even if it was, it was his story all along, so I could've been okay with that; I would've rather had a weirdo, less-than trilogy from the mind of George Lucas than anything we got from Abrams/Johnson/Kennedy). He's a good idea guy, and as long as he didn't actually write the script and direct them, I would've loved to have seen his vision of episodes 7-9.

A true sequel trilogy in the hands of actual writers and directors who weren't looking to just soft-reboot/rehash everything we've already experienced would've been quite a thing. I'd love to see it happen someday, but I know it won't/can't.