View Single Post
rampancy

2008-09-28, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
Wow they have Freespace 2 (and hopefully 1). That was the best game ever. The story was one of only a few that i have found that had depth. Plus the graphics for the time were amazing (especially on Freespace 2). It was a shame they never managed to complete the series with Freespace 3.

In fact those two games are the thing that make me want to buy an Intel Mac so i can play them again.
Yeah, they have Freespace 1 - I was thinking of picking it up but if you use the FS2_Open installer from Hard Light Productions you can get free of charge the FS1 -> FS2 port. Speaking of which, the OS X UB port of FS2_Open works really well, though some of the graphical bugs I encountered when I tried it before are still there - I think it's an issue with Apple's OpenGL implementation.

FYI: The 3.6.9 version of FS2_Open doesn't seem to work under 10.5.5 - I used the recent stable build of 3.6.10, available here. What's also really cool is that unlike other game download services (such as the one run by EA) you can redownload your games as many times as you wish. Additionally, they toss in some nice little extras like PDF versions of the manual, a reference card, some pretty nice desktops, and the soundtrack in MP3 form.

They also have Descent 1 and Descent 2, both for $5.99...I haven't bought those yet but from what I've seen on the GOG forums it should work just fine with D2X-XL and DXX-Reborn, both open source enhancements to Descent which have OS X UB ports.

I *think* they might still be accepting beta testers - I signed up pretty late and they still took me on. If anyone's interested I have an invite code I can give away.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi