View Single Post
Wrao
Yarp

2006-12-02, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
If you ever get up Seattle way, check out Dixie's BBQ (11522 Northup Way, Bellevue). Specifically, go meet The Man.

The Man is a small cast iron pot that they just keep adding peppers to, and simmering.

For years now.

The owner (Gene) will walk around with this wonderful pot of liquid sadism, and ask if you wanna meet The Man. Give a silent plea for forgiveness from your rectum the next morning, and simply say yes.

My first visit, I had about 1/4tsp on 1/2 a roast chicken. My gums *BLED*. No joke. I blew out my breath, and the guy across the table ended up yelping and covering his eyes - my breath was like pepper spray.

But you know what? It tasted INCREDIBLE. Yeah, it was hellahot, but it had *flavor*.

I've been back three more time since.
A lot of really hot sauces DO have flavor. It's an interesting market, there are hundreds of wannabes, vinegar-soaked messes that are moderately hot, there are pure capsicum extracts that are meant solely to heat up an existing dish without altering their flavor, and there are gourmet blends that achieve an excellent balance between mind numbingly hot but still tasty.

I'll check out dixie's next time I'm in seattle. Actually, that's a lie, I'm going to Seattle tomorrow but won't have time to go there, so, next time I actually have some time to. That being said, I am wary of a mix like that, most likely it is not as hot as many commercial hot sauces, and the disparate mix of ingredients can and will create actual discomfort that extends beyond the tongue. Which, imo, isn't really worth it.

How's the food otherwise?