View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-19, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Unfortunately, being an asshole isn't illegal, it's protected. Some people relish it, like others might brandish outrageous firearms on their property or cheat on their spouse.
I always go by the "your 'right' to be an insufferable a-hole ends when it bleeds over into my space/comfort/peace-of-mind" line of thinking. More of us should, frankly...a lot of this crap that goes on wouldn't be. There are ways to act in public, and there are ways not to. It's that simple, and it's universal and it's been around since the beginning of time. Just because we have cell phone cams, YouTube and horrible examples set by reality TV and celebrities, it doesn't mean everyone just runs around, doing whatever they want, with no consequences or fallout.

And that the rest of us have to simply "put up with it", or "learn to deal with it". Screw that. I deal enough as it is...

I'm not quite ready to give up to the dickwads of the world.

Quote:
As far as taser = torture, at least in theory, pepper spray and taser are about on equal terms. As far as the risk of death, it depends on where you're tasered.
Well hell's bells...something has to be allowable to some of you people, right? I mean, do we just completely sit back, in the interest of being "above it all and exceedingly civil" and let the shitheads run the show? I always hope for the day that some smart scientist or group comes up with perfect "harmless weapon" to use against people; one that is somehow powerful enough to subdue the idiot in question but one that all the worrywarts and handwringers won't crap their pants over, and be in a knot about.

I'm not holding my breath. Sometimes it honestly seems like "just let people do whatever they want, if they're not a physical threat to anyone" is the only answer some people seem to put forth in certain scenarios.

That's not good enough, and I don't - and never will - accept it. Then you just have chaos and nuttiness, 24/7.

Quote:
I'm on the fence about whether it was excessive, but if were in the audience or Kerry, I should be allowed to stuff a sock in the guy's mouth just as well. Just being an asshole back to the guy only makes more assholes in the room.
I'm not sure restraining an unrepentant, line-breaking, rule-chucking pain-in-the-ass is "being an asshole". Sorry, there was only one "asshole" in the venue that night, and he got dealt with.

I'm no fan of John Kerry, but I would never dream of disrupting his event or chance to speak. Isn't that one of the cornerstones people tend to get puffed-up and precious about during these trying, divisive times? People who do this stuff, IMO, are really the lowest of the low. It's only going to get worse, I'm afraid (see previous YouTube comments; there's now a showcase and audience for such behavior, including the Internet in general...tons of "videotape you and your friends acting like complete knobgobblers in public" sites out there).

Just ill-mannered, clueless attention whores. And God knows we've got enough of them already; do we really need more?

I kinda wish people like this kid were genuinely a bit frightened to do this kind of thing, knowing that their butt was going to be in a sling over it, and that people wouldn't put up with it.

There's funny. There's public pranks. I'm all for them, the right time, place, situation. Then there's just being a dick, for the sole purpose of attention and causing a ruckus. Not cool.