View Single Post
deuce868

2005-11-03, 11:26

Background: I've been using the PC since 97 when I went to college. I'm a CS grad working with Linux and Windows servers/pcs for the last 4 years. I am now on day two with my first Mac. It's a new 17" PB with all the fixings. I am running into a few annoyances and hoping those in the know can help me make this experience a bit better.

Onto the questions:
Mac OSX Notes:
1. How to change hostname. I can set it via command line, but would rather not have to set it to my login script. Where is it actually located? I saw references to it from /etc/hostconfig but there is no hostname entry there.

FIXED: Thanks ShadowOfGed

2. What is with the Safari and the fact that you can’t tab into anything but text and textarea boxes. Every other browser I can tab into select boxes and use space to check them as well as form buttons. Grrrr....
Why do programs not actually close when you hit the X? Can you change that setting?

FIXED: Thanks for the heads up on the system prefs Brad

3. BBEdit isn’t that great. In php there is no bracket matching or auto completion of functions I can figure out. I did load in the php Glossary from the website. Anything else I am missing I need to use?

NVM, I got Zend studio working. I guess I've always heard how great BBEdit was I actually was a bit jealous as a windows user. Not all it's hyped up to be.

4. Virtual PC asked me if I wanted to install the scripts to my toolbar and I said yes (why not?). Now how do I go back and remove that? (Up by battery, wireless, etc)

FIXED: Thanks paul!

5. Does Mail support imap labels at all? I can’t seem to find a way to use them but I always use the generic ToDo and Important labels in my Windows mail clients like thunderbird.

6. Is there a keyboard shortcut for the + button? I see one for minimize.

Oh well on this one...thanks for the notes about it

7. Can anyone suggest a program that would allow me to program the extra buttons on my MS bluetooth mouse? I managed to get buttons 4/5 to be expose items, but I would also like to set the scroll wheel left/right to min/max functionality.

8. Any way to set folders in finder to auto sort? Every time I move something I have to go to view->arrange by name or kind to get a clean look.

FIXED: Thanks luca!

Thanks so much for the help. I'm liking this machine for the most part so far and will have an extensive review later on. :smokey:

Last edited by deuce868 : 2005-11-03 at 13:20.