View Single Post
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-03, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce868
1. How to change hostname. I can set it via command line, but would rather not have to set it to my login script. Where is it actually located? I saw references to it from /etc/hostconfig but there is no hostname entry there.
Well, I don't have my first mac yet, but I (uh) saw it running on a ThinkPad. Unofficially. Of course. Anyhow, I think the hostname configuration is actually in the Sharing preferences pane. It's right at the top, and pretty obviously labeled "Computer name" I still don't see why this is listed with the sharing settings instead of the network configuration... go figure.

Quote:
3. BBEdit isn’t that great. In php there is no bracket matching or auto completion of functions I can figure out. I did load in the php Glossary from the website. Anything else I am missing I need to use?
OS X comes with vim. I prefer vim for editing stuff; I've never used BBEdit, but perhaps vim has what you're looking for. I'm sure you know already, but just to make sure: vim is a console app.

Quote:
6. Is there a keyboard shortcut for the + button? I see one for minimize.
I don't know about you, but in OS X I find that I don't feel the same urge to maximize apps like I do in Windows. An in some cases, the + won't even maximize an app. I don't know if there's a shortcut, but perchance you'll find that, over time, you use the + button less and less... just a thought.

Quote:
Thanks so much for the help. I'm liking this machine for the most part so far and will have an extensive review later on. :smokey:
Well, maybe not so much help, but... information... Hope you like your PowerBook, I'm really looking forward to my PowerMac.