View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-13, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Oh, yes. I agree with you on that completely, chucker. Apple just beat Adobe out the door, so to speak. Maybe Apple knew about Lightroom and released Aperture early, thus accounting for its bugs and poor performance? Maybe it was a coincidence that they were both developed simultaneously? We'll never really know.
Indeed, we won't know, so it's merely speculation. In any case, the digital camera market had developed in a direction where these two products simply make sense; specifically, for Apple, it makes sense to have a Pro version of iPhoto, and for Adobe, it makes sense to have a stand-alone streamlined version of Camera Raw (which I believe was generally considered to be a little awkward anyway, but I'm no expert on this).

Without doubt, the two are competitors, and I believe Adobe's PR department stated rather clearly that, indeed, the impending release of Apple Aperture had triggered a faster-paced public beta development than originally intended (or a public beta at all?).

It should be noted, too, that Lightroom is not your average "we can't code efficiently nor do remotely good UI design" Adobe app; the very fact that it has to be ported from Mac OS to Windows, rather than vice versa, is proof enough. It has been developed from scratch, without the stupid Qt toolkit or anything, without code cruft, without UI cruft, without typical Adobe conventions that don't make sense in this new decade*. In that, it is a worthy contender.

*) Me, bitter? Nah.