View Single Post
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-04-26, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevansciw View Post
What's the deal here? I live and die by my Mac, Mac Magazines, and would also do so with the iPhone, but don't care for the new AT&T (formerly Cingular). This is nothing more than a simple rant, but why would they do something so stupid as to lock into a single carrier? Just doesn't make sense in my book.

Anyone else feeling this way? I'm sure you are...

I'm curious as to why they decided to live in such a narrow scope. The only thing I can figure is they are so tight with Sony and I believe Sony/Ericsson is exclusively with AT&T (Cingular) that they felt the need to follow suit.

Whatever....guess Apple will miss my money for this product line. I'm happy Verizon an plan to stay there.
I don't really follow your logic with Apple following Sony, but the most likely explanation for partnering with AT&T was that they are the country's largest GSM provider. Verizon uses CDMA, which isn't used in most of the world, so had Apple gone that route, they would need to design a second iPhone with a GSM chip for Europe and Asia. Plus, IIRC, CDMA chips take up more space than GSM.

I don't see what Sony has to do with it. At all.