View Single Post
rampancy

2007-08-04, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
PowerComputing, StarMax, Daystar, Outback, Be...

Depends what you consider a clone and what counts as a remanufactured mobo unit (Outback).

I also remember a company in Vancouver around '96 that made a 14inch leather and titanium "laptop" (though it didn't have a battery) for $14,000 based on repurposed Tanzania 4400 mobos. IIRC, they had two prototype units (one of which I was able to test) before Apple Legal dropped the boom and killed them off.
I don't think Be counts - I don't remember any mention of their dual-603 based computer being able to run the Mac OS.

What really amused me was how, near the end, Apple and others were a little concerned because shortly before the clones were killed off, Motorola got their own license to license out the Mac hardware designs to other clone manufacturers (like PowerTools) - I still remember the names, the really shady ads and spec sheets filling out the back of MacWorld.

Does anyone remember MacTell? They used to have some awesome FireWire 400 products, and a nice Voodoo 2 (or was it a Voodoo Banshee?) -based graphics card. They were selling "G3 Macs!" which were actually Tanzania-based 603 Macs with the G3 upgrade card reinstalled...

I think PowerComputing's coolest product by far had to be the dual-bus PowerWave Macs which had both NuBus and PCI.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi