Thread: Car Talk
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-02, 13:08

I have a 2001 silver Saturn SC1 coupe (the three-door thing, with a backwards-opening "rear door" behind the driver door for easy backseat access and storage). I love it. It's a 5-speed and it's been all over SoCal, across the country and all over the Southeast. It's a workhorse. It's right at 86,000 miles.

Alas, my final Saturn (as they'll no longer exist in another year or two).

I used to have a few pics, but I don't know where they went.

But here are a couple via Google:

And the third door in action. So handy (groceries, large boxy items, musical gear, etc.). It's a two-door coupe, but with the handiness and convenience of a four-door when you need it. And because that rear door opens backwards and there's no brace or pole in that opening, you have a huge area to work with, with no obstructions. If you slide the driver seat forward, you can get really large items in the backseat that you simply couldn't do with a standard 4-door opening design. I've put huge amps, large Rubbermaid boxes, a 27" tube TV (quite big and bulky), air compressors, items from Home Depot, sawhorses and much more there over the years, with ease.

And, yes...I have a white Apple sticker - centered, down low - in the rear window, and it's been there since the day I bought it in April 2001. I always thought the car looked like a G4 tower, in that it's very slick and glossy at all times (even when it's dirty...must be the topcoat?), and has nice little swoops, curves and cutbacks throughout.

Glad I went with the silver. After eight years, I'm not sick of it and it doesn't feel like a dated, trendy color that screams "early 2000's". My next car will probably be some sort of grey or silver as well (unless it's available in that awesome copper/burnt orange color I'm seeing on the road more and more these days). That's the only "color" I'd truly feel good about having, for obvious reasons.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2009-12-02 at 13:20.