View Single Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-01-05, 22:24

I've thought about it, but never acted on those thoughts. I remember telling my father he should buy Apple at $12, and Chrysler when it was at its depths and was about to bet everything on the Neon. Those were right, but I also thought Corel would comeback with a solid WordPerfect suite to challenge Microsoft's dominance back in the day, and when they tanked hard, I figured I should stop guessing or just burn my money in the backyard.

I think for a lot of people getting started is the toughest step. I don't have a lot of money to risk, but in Canada our previous Prime Minister (who was an economist IRL) introduced these Tax-Free Savings Accounts to increase the savings rate. You can hold stocks and bonds inside them (as well as cash) and the investment income isn't taxed. I'd love to get started this year, but I don't have a stockbroker (and I understand with the fees, online brokerages are the way to go anyway.)

Why hasn't some enterprising group created a video game to teach people about diving into the stock market, using real-life numbers?
Like SIM City, but with stockbrokers!

Or is there already one I don't know about?