View Single Post
Anonymous Coward

2021-02-10, 03:53

As mentioned in the other thread (daily news), I'm more of a buy and hold investor. Choose a stock you believe has good potential for growth, and just sit on it. Checking daily progress can just put more stress in your life.

But, assuming you're not just gambling (focused mainly on the trade), one thing I do is designate all my holdings for dividend reinvestment. It's kind of like compound interest. You can do that with the index funds (DIA -Dow Jones Industrial Average, SPY - Standard and Poor Index, QQQ - NASDAQ). Looking at my transaction history, DIA posted ordinary dividends on 11 January, SPY on 29 January, and QQQ last December 31, so it works for them, and shares can be issued in fractional amounts. For instance, when SPY posted their dividend, my brokerage account purchased 0.044 shares. It has been doing that for probably 30 years or so.

If you want to do something more structured, take a look at the top 10 losers for the day. Often solid companies drop unreasonably on bad news and most likely they will recover. It's not quite as much of an exercise these days, though, because now the top 10 lists have links and each company has their own news page to help you decide whether or not that is a reasonable gamble.

But even when I'm lucky, it just makes me realize that I don't know what I'm doing. Who would have thought that investing in an electrical grid management company would have have tied my investment to bitcoin, which is something I never would have done (also referring to a "daily news" post).