View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-20, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Unless the idea of 30" AIO was just so insanely expensive that they figured nobody would ever buy it?
Have you met the iMac Pro?

Quote:
PS - The 24" moved up from the 21.5" iMac, but it's really "only" 23.5", so, naming aside, it really only increased two inches (the naming makes it seems more like three, with the "21" and "24" involved).
Oh yeah. I thought it was 20, but it's apparently been those weird 21.5 inches since 2009. Oops.

Quote:
Which makes me wonder why they spent years calling that 21.5" iMac that vs. 22"? They're calling the 23.5" iMac "24" after all? But they've always rounded down to a whole number on the notebooks as well: 13.3" MacBooks called "13-inch", the 15.4" MacBook Pros over the years always just called "15". But, for whatever reasons, they always called that smaller aluminum iMac "21.5", with the decimal, and didn't round up (or down) to 21 or 22. Interesting.
Well, they also went with "9.7-inch iPad Pro" and "12.9-inch iPad Pro". Why? It's OK to round those up!

Quote:
Interesting as in "Apple often makes zero sense in the things they do".
Yep.

Quote:
I could see Tim's Apple take the hit on the pissed-off pros, knowing it's made up by the iPhone/iPad/music consumers. I hope it doesn't happen, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if/when it does.

IMO, they've not done anything right on this product in a long time. Are they out of ideas? Tired of trying? Morally opposed to just going back to a sensibly-sized/priced tower that mortals can also afford? Will be see $1,199 Wheels Max™ in 2022 ("Now Even Rollier.")? I never want/plan to own one, but I find the Mac Pro tower saga so interesting/funny to follow. I almost look forward to seeing what, if anything, they do just because I know there's a solid 50/50 chance of some good chuckles/entertainment (see earlier "wheels" jab).

If Monday is anything to go by, I'm guessing a new M1 Pro/Max/Extreme/OMG-equipped Mac Pro starting at about $7,499, thereby ensuring nobody normal ever buys one.
I just think it's hard, institutionally, for Apple to get excited about… a desktop tower. Blech. Anyone can make those, and they're a shrinking (almost disappearing) market segment.

However, as long as Apple is unwilling to license macOS (and they probably should be), there will remain weird niches that they need to offer something for, even if they'd rather not.