View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-09, 16:00

It's still Hollywood...it isn't like this streaming stuff is being handcrafted by the Amish or tree elves. It's just a different delivery format/system and it's making some studios approach things a bit differently. Maybe with smaller budgets and all, it's easier to take chances or roll the dice that you can't when you're expected to put out $250M+ "tentpole" movies on a certain timeframe. If you can make engaging, quality fare with lesser-known actors and reasonable budgets, and they still get well received and help earn money, then that's where things will head.

Tom Hanks, Brad Pitt and The Jennifers can't be in everything. The era of the same 25 or so actors being in damn near everything will probably start to go away some. And that's good too. Lots of new talent will be discovered and make themselves known to the world.

There's very good stuff being made - both full-length movies and TV shows - by the various streamers. Anything that's keeping Gillian Anderson employed/visible gets a thumbs-up in my book.

Things are shifting. COVID certainly helped it along and maybe accelerated/made clear a few things. The delivery method is there - gazillions are already enjoying streaming fare in the comfort of their own homes. It's business-related decisions that are making it to where stuff like Spider-Man and Batman are hitting as "in theaters only". But that won't always be the case.

It can't.

And those who don't pivot and adapt to what's obviously coming...too bad. They should've had more vision (and a better crystal ball). All those horse-drawn buggy makers who thought Henry Ford and others were out of their minds learned the hard way. I don't work in showbiz but even I can see that the era of the multiplex, and seeing movies as we've always known, is probably in its final solid decade.

Nothing lasts forever, we're just seeing the slow ramp-down of something we've all grown up knowing/attending our entire lives, that's all. But our grandkids won't miss a beat.

Progress always breaks a few eggs.

And the smart people will lament less the delivery method and embrace what smaller, leaner and lighter might mean to filmmaking, TV production, budgets, expectations, etc. We've spent 2-3 decades throwing around a lot of money - both on the production and the consumption ends - for a lot of hokey, shaky and unasked-for shit. Maybe those days will taper down too.

Nobody's going to leave money on the table, but some will be quicker to the trough than others.

If I were a writer/director type, I'd see so much opportunity and possibility out there. So many outlets/potential "eyes" that didn't exist just a decade ago.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-02-09 at 16:21.