View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-01-06, 15:40

This is probably just a little niche, but I have wanted to do some lighting and audio as part of a backyard reno. Pre-pandemic, I'd seen a number of installers charging stupid money for outdoor lighting design and installation. I don't begrudge them their businesses, and actually the good outdoor lighting bits can be a pricey, but as a bit of a DIY addict, I'm curious about what if any new consumer products could make that task easier. I'm thinking layers of dim, warmish, lighting at different heights and spreads, some accents, just enough light to sit out late evening without disturbing people, and ambience a bit like firelight, but in swaths and pools across about 2000 sq ft of yard.

For the audio, ideally, it'd be nice if there were a way to get backyard audio implemented where there is a bit of volume to it, but at the same time that it's somehow confined (focused?) to the yard? Some trick of speaker placements where the noise just doesn't carry too far outside the proscribed area? One option I can think of is to place multiple outdoor speakers in the beds in a way that sound radiates freely into the yard from the ground level, but is somewhat muffled by mounds and greenery where it would otherwise project out of the yard, and I wonder if some of the work that's done with sound projectors can be applied to "confine" the audio in such a way that it's a bit louder than one would expect when in the sweet spot, but lower than expected when one is not.