View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-02-12, 17:56

I didn't even think about that. Yeah, the 24" iMac - new, at full price - just makes little sense to spend money on (and won't, for the remainder of 2023 until it gets an update). A shame. They're throwing the M2 into everything else, including models - the 14" and 16" MacBook Pros - that were updated just over a year ago (the tail end of 2021). But they're cool letting this one go two (and possibly 2.5-3) years untouched.

Notebooks are king!

I can almost imagine a future with no iMac in the lineup, if this is any sort of indicator of things. The iPod line went away, so anything's possible. Past success/importance guarantees nothing. Someday the iPhone, as we know it, won't exist either. The whole AIO thing, while I love it and it's so clean and simple, is also kinda weird because in many (most?) cases the display outlasts the computer, and then you're tossing away a perfectly functioning display. And, as far as I know, you can't use it as an external "dumb" display for a Mac mini or MacBook (at least without some electronic/hacking skills I don't possess).

And that's a crying shame because I just happen to have both my old 20" non-booting aluminum iMac and my Mom's 20" non-booting aluminum iMac here with me (but both with perfectly functioning displays), both in my closet. In some perfect world, with the proper cable/hub, I could be flanking this 13" MacBook Pro with one (or two?) 20" Apple displays! I think about this every day and go "grrrrr!"