View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-05, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Thank you for providing this for us all this time.

I faithfully follow Mindcrack and Hermitcraft and Empires players on YouTube, and dream of having time to become a famous YouTube Minecrafter.

I am sorry that we will be losing this common meeting place, but every chapter has an end.

If there IS a future server that will be wonderful.

As much as I want to play MC more and watch others on YouTube it just doesn't fit into my day much anymore. Heck, it hasn't for more than a few years if I'm being transparent. I still love the game, just things jump in front of it. My kids getting older and pulling me to play their games with them is just one example. It is helping me be a part of their lives. Though I will say I never got the Fortnite bug. I played it once and got the Victory Royal. I stopped there, not gonna get much better than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
It has been a great run! Probably far longer than any expected. Many thanks, T, for hosting our crazy asses through thick and thin. I have very fond memories of our times and builds together.

There's rarely anyone on anymore so don't feel obligated to make any moves that you wouldn't otherwise make without me logging on now and then. All good things and all that.

I'd definitely like a copy of whatever worlds are available, when it comes time to finally turn out the lights.
I really do have some very fond memories as well. Believe it or not, that is part of the major pull that kept me running the server. One day we might have a mass party playing again! It was just tons of fun playing together doing projects together or that were for the community and just just our own builds.

Of course, days of destruction were awesome too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
πŸ₯²πŸ‘πŸ«‘

That's… impossible! We left Bridgeport just, uhh, a couple years ago, right? Stop making me feel old.
I had to look at the start of this thread to recall how long it had been. It really is hard to believe it has been that long. I mean, of you quote my fist post in this thread I was still using "http" and not "https" on my images which is why they won't load now. Just a simple example of how much has changed since I started hosting the server.

Quote:
Thank you for the history lesson and trip down memory lane, and double plus thank you for diligently hosting our games for all these years!! This was an incredibly kind and generous gift, and I hope you know that your efforts are recognized and very well appreciated! Seriously, you're a champ, and these years of your generous support won't soon be forgotten.

Unfortunately, I doubt* I will keep the server running in perpetuity on my applenova VM, but I would like to host some short-lived special events from time to time, if people are interested. I really enjoyed those new-world survival expeditions we used to do after major updates, and I loved that one survival game we did years ago with the gradually shrinking world barrier. I would totally be down to host some more events like that if we could get folks interested and committed to a calendar date from time to time.

* I haven't tried setting up MC again recently on the AN server. I do plan to try soon, but no promises.
I have overall really enjoyed hosting the server. It forced me to learn so much about linux I never thought I would. My skills in scripting and troubleshooting issues in CentOS (linux in general) grew so much thanks to projects like running this. One patch update and it doesn't work! Now I have to figure out why... Oh, java v6 isn't supported anymore. I have to update Java... but which java? There are like 18 million types of JAVA!!!!

Quote:
I downloaded a world backup tarball a couple weeks ago when you mentioned your network troubles. When you're ready to stop the game for good, please let me/us know, and I'll jump back in to retrieve a few more backups, after which you're welcome to torch my SSH user. I can't say it enough, but thank you for sharing this hardware and trusting me to SSH into your network to manage bits and pieces of the game. It's a huge gamble to grant access to some rando on the internet that you've never actually met in person, and I'm still honored and flattered that you put that trust in me.

I know you have various other older backups on your network, too, which I plan to comb through before calling everything done, and I also have kept backups of each of our main worlds over the years. That includes Bridgeport, Sedona, Loch Green, TerraNova, Cactuar, two unnamed worlds, Tekkit, FTB, and of course the current Cashout Cove. The older backups need to be converted (maybe going through multiple steps) and need some minor tweaks to their "level.dat" files to make them fully playable in single-player mode. I won't try to convert the Tekkit and FTB backups since they require a pile of mods that may or may not even be available now. Once we shut down, I plan to process the last known backup for each of these worlds and put them all up in shared storage for anyone to download.

It's been an amazing ride, guys. Hopefully this isn't the very end, but in case we can't align calendars for future Minecraft meetups, I want to say thank you all again for the countless fun adventures and discoveries and creative monuments and memories! πŸ’œ
Last night I looked through my backups and it looks like I have a couple of copies of ALL the worlds I hosted. Even "cinco" or "world5" that we apparently never actually named. IIRC, that is the one that became the tekkit/FTB world.
Code:
minecraft@anmc7 [~/longstore]# ls -lah minecraft/backups/ total 100K drwxrwxr-x 9 1024 users 20K Oct 12 2020 . drwxr-xr-x 8 minecraft minecraft 4.0K May 12 2013 .. drwxrwxr-x 2 1024 users 4.0K Jul 14 2012 backup_bridgeport drwxrwxr-x 2 1024 users 4.0K Jul 14 2012 backup_cactuar drwxrwxr-x 2 1024 users 4.0K Jul 14 2012 backup_lochgreen drwxrwxr-x 2 1024 users 4.0K Jul 14 2012 backup_sedona drwxrwxr-x 2 1024 users 4.0K Feb 16 2013 backup_tekkit drwxrwxr-x 2 1024 users 4.0K Dec 9 2012 backup_world5 minecraft@anmc7 [~/longstore]# ls -lah minecraft/speedy/minecraft/worlds/ total 48K drwxrwxr-x 6 1024 users 4.0K Feb 8 2013 . drwxr-xr-x 4 1024 users 4.0K May 11 2013 .. drwxrwxr-x 5 1024 users 4.0K Jul 14 2012 cactuar drwxrwxr-x 5 1024 users 4.0K Aug 4 2012 cinco drwxrwxr-x 8 1024 users 4.0K Dec 19 2012 cinco_tekkit drwxrwxr-x 5 1024 users 4.0K Apr 23 2013 feedthebeast_direwolf20
I appreciate the "thank you" from you all. It does mean a lot and I don't want to brush it off. It is truly appreciated. It really has been a pleasure to host the server and the maps for them. It has just plain been a blast overall and I will miss doing it I'm sure once we shutdown the server for the last time.

I think us all doing a community fun day again would be a blast. Practically speaking though, I would be surprised to see how many actually show up. So many players have moved on and are doing other things now. If a date is set, I'm certainly willing to make playing it a priority though!

Louis L'Amour, β€œTo make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.