View Single Post
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-05-15, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Archeologists could overlay field scans with open trenches and walk the site in real time, then tune the contrast of the screens to better spot ditches and traces of robbed-out footings.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA... that's basically the project I pitched in grad school in 1994. Get a few interns manning ground penetrating radar, magnetometers, etc, and walk a field in real time. Compile the data into a 3D render, overlay over a camera feed, and let the dig lead literally walk around looking at potential hotspots for digging. "Dave, come over here and give me a higher rez pass at this spot..."

It was not possible at the time to maintain anything like a coherent spatial registration, and even when using the state of the art systems indoors many users became nauseated from a 'swimming' effect in the visual field, like being on the deck of a rolling ship.

Now? Child's play.

So the question then becomes whether they're going to introduce it with a cheeky "Some people have been asking for swappable batteries our devices for years... have we got a product for *you*!" I think a belt battery is the right move, one of the major complaints from the enterprise space is helmet weight causing neck fatigue after wearing the device for an entire work day. The other? Too short of battery life. This solves both at one shot.