View Single Post
¡Damned!

2023-05-25, 22:01

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like adding more CPU/GPU cores is the entire point and advantage of the M-series chips. "We have these chips with xCPU and xGPU cores. Now we've put two or more of these chips next to each other, and we're calling it this". It feels kinda lego-like in its simplicity, for a non-chip-architecture-knowing guy like me.

To the larger point though, I feel like the 'Pro' moniker days are coming to an end. Everyone is a Pro now that we all have pro tools for dirt cheap. Back in the late 90's/early 00's Avid took a massive shit on Mac users - out of the blue - loyally using Media Composer for film editing. There wasn't really a price-comparable competitor at the time so eventually Premiere and Final Cut both pushed hard with 'Pro'. And Apple went hard with 'Pro' audio and DVD authoring and others. I can see the reasoning for all that, they were competing for high-end users. Now we have 'Pro' apps on our ostensibly weakest devices, comparatively, with Final Cut, Logic and Premiere all available on iOS.

Why go with 'Pro' now though? It's a needless classification.

I don't think there will be a Mac Pro, not in a way we're thinking about it anyway. It may be a custom tier that's only sold to select customers. That's not unprecedented in Apple kit. What that custom tier entails – maybe BYOMac? – I can only imagine.

If there is a new Mac Pro and its just old kit with new chips I will be massively disappointed.

So it goes.