View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-30, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
You have to admit, though, that they ARE terrible ads. They do nothing to psyche anyone up about buying a Mac. Perhaps some of the more hardcore Mac users love them, but those people don't need to be advertised to. For anyone who's actually considering getting a Mac, I find it impossible to see those ads as having anything but a negative impact.
Yeah. I believe I was pretty much saying just that from the first day they were unveiled. It was nice seeing SOMETHING other than dancing silhouettes, but once that initial 14-minute thrill faded, you begin to realize how off-putting they might be to some.

I wouldn't base a $2,000 purchase on whether or not a silly commercial irked me, mind you. But I could think of 25 other approaches they could've taken that touts the Mac without dinging or taking potshots - however warranted they may be - at the other side.

I remember saying this very thing weeks ago, the day these things came out. They're strictly "okay"...but nothing that's going to compel anyone to great action, IMO. Almost too cutesy, and after you've seen them about twice, you're sick of them...the look, the tone, the cheesy stereotype (dorky guy in suit is a PC; untucked hipster dude in need of a razor and comb is a Mac).

Oooh, groundbreaking stuff...