View Single Post
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-12-01, 19:21

Today I bought the backup application SuperDuper! and set it to copying my Powerbook's drive to an external drive and went merrily along my way. An hour or so later I went by the machine and noticed that the screen had gone to black and the beachball was up onscreen. I gave it a couple of wiggles and left it for awhile with no response.

I finally forced the book to shutdown and rebooted, except now it comes up with a grey screen... and if I disconnect that external drive and reboot it comes up with the classic blinking "can't find folder" icon.

Also, I have tried putting the machine into Target Mode and accessing from another machine with no luck.

My machine has been in verbose boot mode since they replaced the motherboard earlier this year and when I attempt to boot up from the Techtool disc that came with AppleCare it begins blasting out the boot up report and gets to a line that says "panic: We are hanging here" and stops doing anything.

Looking at the external drive from another machine I can see that the transfer is incomplete so it's of mild interest to me to recover the remainder of the files on this machine if at all possible....

I look forward to any help you guys can lend me here....

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter