View Single Post
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-08-02, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Right. It's kind of ironic that when I was looking for a "built-in" nonstick instead of just coated nonstick, I thought that anodized aluminum was the answer, having bonded the Teflon, but the real answer was a properly seasoned cast iron skillet. Indeed, of all pot & pans I've had, I've always found my cast iron skillet to be the easiest to clean. Even if there's stuck-on food, I just scrape it without worrying about scratching the skillet, and apparently it works because when it's cooking with oils, it repairs itself. Now try to get Teflon to do that!
Oh hells yeah, properly seasoned cast iron is fantastic, but there are some places it just doesn't work well. Like boiling pasta, or making soup. For situations where you need oil, intense heat, and even distribution of said heat, it can't be beat.

Quote:
I have to agree that you're right. However, I hate the idea of having a closet full of various pots & pans falling out and killing me. If there were such a set that represented the minimum numbers of pots/pans and the materials they use while providing the most range of utility, I'm all ears.
Cast iron griddle, enameled cast iron roasting pan with lid, anodAl sauce pans, copper or stainless for a big assed soup pot where the risk of burning or sticking is about nil.

Lean towards heavy and iron when needing intense heat (browning meats, searing, charring) or even heat (slow roasting), inexpensive stainless for boiling (good heat dist, almost no chance of sticking in those situations), and anodAl for everyday 'stuff' that's going to get knocked around a lot, is our philosophy.