Thread: The New Mac Pro
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-06, 03:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
It comes from “if we make this significantly cheaper, nobody will buy the iMac Pro any more”.
That doesn't really hold water for me. I mean, first, it's an Apple-created problem; if they were that concerned about protecting the iMac Pro they could adjust the positioning of that product too. But the main reason is that if that sort of thinking has set in at Apple, I think that's really, really bad news. Isn't Apple supposed to not be afraid of cannibalizing their own products? Aren't they proud of making every product the best it can be, even though that pushes on the other products to also be better and more capable?

But, fine. Say that is their reason for taking the Mac Pro into super high-end pricing territory. That's fair. But make a super high-end desktop, then. The base Mac Pro isn't worth the asking price, even by "Apple's standard," even compared to other Macs. It's not the price point that bothers me, it's the lack of value.

If you had told me, when I bought my cheap Dell gaming PC, that I was getting the same tier of GPU that would be in Apple's future six-thousand dollar workstation, I would have thought you were nuts.

If the Mac Pro is so expensive because it's supposed to exist above the iMac Pro, fine. But then it shouldn't have a worse GPU, it shouldn't have a quarter the storage...if Apple gave every Mac Pro 12 cores, a terabyte of flash, and the Vega II Duo card, I wouldn't be nearly as incredulous about the pricing.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong