View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-19, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
To start, I mentioned those things in my post (excepting cellular).

Touchscreens are not going to solve very many problems, but they definitely create lots of new ones. In order for a touchscreen to really make sense, the UI needs to be redesigned, and that is the problem the iPad solves. I've used touchscreen Macs (modded things) and the UI is horrible for it.

Flip around screens are just not fixing any problems, and again they create many more, especially where reliability is concerned. I think this is a solution looking for a problem.
I don't disagree.

I was giving examples of paths Apple hasn't taken. They probably deliberately made that choice, at least for the time being. But you seem to imply there's nowhere else left to go for the laptop, and… that just doesn't seem like a bold stance to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Adding cellular is not innovative in any way. Apple may not be considering it because all of their users have iPhones, and iPhones can share their hotspots. I know they are out there from other manufacturers, but really, how many? I suspect that most folks would just use their hotspot rather than pay for yet another cellular connection.
Eh, that's an excuse. They have cellular on the iPad and the Watch. It makes zero sense to have those and not have cellular as a $150 option on the MacBook Pro.

And before you say, "well, macOS apps have no notion of a metered connection, so the UX would be kinda terrible": that problem exists today with using iPhone tethering, so if anything, that's another argument for going all-in. It should be solved regardless.