View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-01-31, 14:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
As I understand it, the current MBP screen only contains the screen plus camera/mic/ambient sensor. So replacing the screen with an iPad would cover all those bases. The iPad would still have its own battery, memory, processor - everything it already has. But when it is docked via the smart connector and some kind of hinge, it would enter a 'display mode' that would turn off or balance those other components as necessary.
I can't really find measurements for it, but the screen portion of an MBP is very, very thin. On my rMBP (which isn't even the current, significantly thinner generation), it appears to be less than 3mm. That's less than half the thickness of the newest iPad Pro (5.9mm).

So, adding a decent battery, memory, processor would make it more than twice as thick, and probably significantly heavier, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
The MBP base already has its processor, battery, memory, etc. so all of that would stay in there. Implement some battery balancing between the two - similar to the iPhone battery case so that the iPad is ready to go whenever you want it.

I'm sure it would be thicker than a current MBP because of the extra heft of the iPad, but I'd be OK with that.
Well, I recommend you take a look at the Microsoft Surface Book. It sounds close to what you're describing!